Dott (emTransit B.V.) uses website cookies to personalize content, features, and to analyze traffic. Some third parties we work with may also set cookies on our website. Read our full Cookie Notice for all the details. You can always update which cookies you allow in the Settings.
First things first: you need to have an active internet connection to find a Dott, unlock it and end the ride after you’ve arrived.
- Starting your scooter ride
Once you've found a scooter,
- Scan the QR code on top of the scooter and tap “Unlock” and “Start ride” to get going.
- Having trouble scanning the QR code? You can also enter it manually by tapping “abc”.
- Make sure that you’ve kicked up the kickstand so that it’s no longer touching the ground.
- Do a safety check
Before every ride, check:
- Are the lights working?
- Do the brakes work? (Squeeze the brake levers to make sure)
- Are the tires full?
- Are there any wires hanging loose?
- Is there any visible damage to the vehicle?
- How much range does the scooter have left?*
If anything seems to be damaged or malfunctioning, please report it to us and find another Dott to ride. You can report a damaged vehicle to us by selecting the vehicle on the map and tapping “Report issue”.
- Ready to ride
- To start, place one foot on the board, put both hands on the handlebars and push off hard with your other foot a few times (e-scooters can feel quite heavy the first time, so don’t be shy to give it a good push!).
- To accelerate, gently push the throttle with your right thumb.
- Go easy the first time – our scooters can go quite fast.
- Once you’re riding, keep both feet on the board.
- Squeeze both brake levers to brake – don't use your feet!
- Avoid hard braking and accelerating on smooth, slippery surfaces.
- Ending your ride
- Always end your ride in an authorized parking area. Not sure which map areas are parking areas? See Parking icons & what they mean
- Once you’re in an authorized parking spot, tap “End ride”.
- Kick the kickstand back down so that your vehicle stands upright.
- We recommend checking our Parking guidelines section for details on how & where to park, with city-specific rules.
When riding, always follow our Riding essentials. Failure to do so may result in a legal fine, so make sure to give them a quick read before you ride.
If you ever need a quick refresher on how to ride our scooters, tap “Help & contact” then “How to ride our scooters” in the app.
Enjoy your ride!
*We show range in km or mi, depending on your personal phone settings. A fully charged Dott scooter can take you up to 35 km (22 mi) from your starting point, depending on traffic and weather conditions.