Dott (emTransit B.V.) uses website cookies to personalize content, features, and to analyze traffic. Some third parties we work with may also set cookies on our website. Read our full Cookie Notice for all the details. You can always update which cookies you allow in the Settings.
We believe in a future where inner cities are free of cars, congestion and pollution. By offering our dockless electrical scooters and bikes as convenient alternatives for short-distance travel, we believe we can make that future possible. Our mission is to free our cities with clean rides for everyone in Europe and beyond. Founded in Europe, Dott is comprised of a highly experienced team of inquisitive minds in mobility and tech. What we do today has a tangible impact on tomorrow. We reached our in-house sustainability target of 100% renewable energy, and ensure equitability in our communities through collaborating with city charities, officials and safety boards. We’re looking for a Senior Backend Engineer with strong skills and great attention to detail. As part of a strong and diverse team, you will have the ability to work on our platform, supporting all application and business operations, running on Google Cloud Platform. You strive to create elegant architecture, clean testable code and a well-documented API. You take the lead in discussion, challenge your peers, help with recruiting, and coach new joiners in getting up to speed.
What you’ll do:
- Work on a cross-functional product team alongside a variety of other roles - other backend engineers, iOS engineers, Android engineers, product managers, designers and data analysts.
- Work together with the team to refine features (both new and old). You'll make data-driven decisions and actively collaborate to make the best user experience possible.
- Work across teams with other backend engineers (within Rider and across all of Software Engineering) to support the ongoing improvement and evolution of our architecture. Help us migrate to an efficient and loosely coupled microservice architecture.
- Use your experience to craft performant, scalable systems that can handle a high volume of requests from hundreds of thousands of monthly active users.
- Proactively respond to signals in our infrastructure - high memory usage, poor API performance, elevated error rate. You'll recognize these trends and devise solutions to mitigate them.
- Leverage the various products and features that are available in Google Cloud Platform (where we host our platform).
What you’ll need:
- Several years of experience working in cloud-based architectures (Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Azure, etc).
- Thorough understanding of synchronous and asynchronous programming concepts, specifically with Typescript.
- Required experience with TypeScript and NodeJS.
- The ability to explain effective and ineffective patterns in microservices architecture. You'll be able to clearly explain how requests and data move throughout our stack.
- Ability to write effective code that can be clear and tested, and clear of tangled dependencies.
- Ability to take vague requirements and transform them into meaningful outcomes. Expertise in all areas of testing - unit, integration, end-to-end testing.
- Strong communication skills. You'll need to be able to talk to a variety of audiences - product owners as well as other developers. You can summarize your objectives clearly and concisely.
- Exposure to platform architecture and infrastructure. You understand when and where to use load balancers, caching databases, and service-to-service communication.
- Excellent English language and communication skills.
What’s in it for me? 🌎 An international environment: over 55 nationalities across 10 countries: Brussels, Netherlands, France, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Finland and 🌿 Impact : An Opportunity to play your part working for a company that is actively addressing some of the current climate concerns worldwide, doing everything we can to be as sustainable as possible. 💡 Opportunities to learn : You will have an opportunity to learn from some of the best Engineers in the industry working on cutting edge technologies that did not exist a number of years ago. ❓Transparency: Weekly Q&A sessions with our leadership, honest discussions about how we are progressing and our 💜 People-first: We are here to support all of our employees, and have partnered with MindMatters to ensure our employees mental health is top of mind in these difficult times. Benefits we offer: 🏡 Tailor-made remote policy: Flexible working environment, do you want to work fully remote? Two days from the office? Or fully in the office? It's your choice, just let us know! 🪑 Assistance with a WFH station 💰 A fair and competitive salary package 🚀 Employee Stock/Equity plan 🌍 Relocation package and visa sponsorship available 👶 Parental policy 🚲 🛴 Free rides in a city we are currently operating the city of Paris Closing & equal opportunities employer statement Come as you are Dott is an equal opportunities employer. We invest in diversity, ensure equality and encourage expression. We have a zero-tolerance policy for harassment, bias or discrimination towards applicants and employees. Want to join us for the ride? Let’s do this right – together.
What drives us
We’re reshaping our cities to be cleaner and more livable. Discover how we do it.
Curious to see how things work in your city or somewhere nearby? Check out where we ride.
Hot off the press
Browse our blog for all the latest we’ve been working on with our colleagues and cities.